Known for his tremendous energy and dynamism, President of India Pranab Mukherjee, works for 18 hours a day, has turned 81 today.
On his special day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has greeted the president and wished for his long and healthy life.
"Birthday wishes to Rashtrapati Ji. His tremendous experience and wisdom has benefitted the nation greatly. I pray for his long and healthy life. Pranab Da always puts India's interest above everything. We are proud to have such a well read and knowledgeable President ", the Prime Minister said.
The former finance minister believes that politics in India can see a significant improvement if young people bring fresh ideas and dynamism.
Mukherjee, who hails from Mirati village of Birbhum district, West Bengal, is an influential politician, journalist and a professor. Indira Gandhi has described him as a man of all seasons. We bring you a list of interesting things you would love reading.
1. Pranab Mukherjee has been very particular about his health, he make sure to take a walk for over 3 km every day.
2. He has made his own political party called Rastriya Samajwadi Party. Later the party was merged with the India National Congress Party.
3. You will be surprised to know that Mukherjee nick name was 'poltu'
4. He has worked as journalist with a regional Bengali publication, named 'Desher Dak'
5. He was a teacher with Birbhum college in Birbhum
6. Mukherjee has rejected 7 mercy petitions including Afzal Guru and Pakistani militant involved in Mumbai terror attack Ajmal Kasab.
7. He has been writing a diary for the past 40 years jotting down everything he's seen in his life but these writings will be published posthumously by his daughter.