Congress today launched a sharp attackon the Modi government at a mega rally in Delhi,accusing the Centre of "murdering the democracy" and turning a blind eye to the condition of the poor, especially farmers. Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi and Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh gave fiery speeches against PM Modi and the BJP. Here are the highlights of the addresses by the Congress leaders.
"Life has taught me to fight," says Congress President Sonia Gandhi
- I want to say this to all these people, no matter how much you try to destroy the democracy, we will not let your dangerous plans succeed.
- I want to tell them that no matter what you accuse us of, we will not be afraid. If they think they can remove the Congress, then I’m afraid, they do not know what the Congress is made of.
- Life has taught me to fight.
- In 2 years, Modi government has started to destroy everything. Every step they take is destroying the democracy.
- Everybody is troubled under their rule. Farmers are forces to commit suicides. But the Modi government has closed their eyes.
- In Bengal, it has become difficult for people to run their families.
- But what did the Modi government do? They came to power with false promises and dreams.
- They have murdered democracy.
- Even now, all they care about is destabilizing the government in Arunachal and Uttarakhand.
"Elected leaders have been removed to make government fall," says Rahul Gandhi
- I am happy that to save democracy, you all have come out in this heat.
- Farmers are committing suicide. Latur, Bundelkhand and other places are burning, But PM Modi does not care.
- We have been seeing Make in India programs, we saw the big show in Mumbai, but how many people got employed?
- In the country today, only two people have a say: Mohan Bhagwat and Narendra Modi. No one dares to speak against them.
- There has been no concrete proof of employment in the country.
Not only that, you all can see what PM Modi has been doing in Arunachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- Elected leaders have been removed to make the governments fall.
"Congress party is the soul of India," says Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
- For the last 2 years, since the BJP has come to power, we see only one slogan - that of a 'Congress Mukt Bharat'. (Congress-free Bharat)
- But I would like to tell PM Modi and the BJP that the Congress is the soul of India. Many have tried to remove the Congress but have failed.
- Congress is like the flowing Ganga river. You can do what you like, but will never be able to stop it.
- The Congress will always do whatever it takes, sacrifice all for the betterment of the nation.